Special Taste Of Vegetarian Food in Hue
About this experience
As the nation’s capital for roughly 200 years, Hue city is the cradle of quintessential cuisines that you should never miss when you visit Vietnam. As one of the most religious regions in the country, Hue also perfects its vegetarian gastronomy (“Chay” as it’s called in Vietnamese) with various options from earthy street food to sophisticated royal cuisine. With ample amounts of temples and pagodas littered throughout the city, you will never be too far from a chay restaurant on either side of the river. In this tour, let’s discover some of the most amazing chay dishes in Hue with your friendly local tour guide on the back of their motorbike. If you are either a vegetarian / vegan or a foodie, or even both, this tour is definitely a not-to-miss guide into the national food culture.
Try up to 4 different vegetarian / vegan dishes in 4 different local restaurants:
- Vegetarian Beo-Nam-Loc cakes: these might be the first names you would hear once the Hue food topic is mentioned. The trio is typically made of rice flour, tapioca flour, green bean, onion and mushroom.
- Vegetarian hot pot: gather around a simmering pot of soup stock at the dining table with your new friends, dip the ingredients into the soup and eat as your stomach desires while learning about this former capital city.
- Hue pancake and vegetable salad: this savory crispy Vietnamese pancake stuffed with vegetables and fresh herbs is definitely not your ordinary definition of a pancake. Learning about its Vietnamese name would also an exciting bonus.
- Dessert: fresh sweet soup from 20 different flavors at night will be the guilty pleasure for your sweet tooth.
Your positive contribution
Women empowerment and good cause projects
To meat eaters, all veggie diet can appear boring. This tour is not trying to persuade you to go full vegetarian but rather introduce another aspect of vegetarian food and showcase some of the best Vietnamese food dishes. Eating less meat can have a positive impact, the extent of which comes down to the comparison of costs and benefits in livestock farming industry.
Additionally, this tour is operated by young enthusiastic female local tour guide on the most common vehicle in Vietnam: motorbike. With this special business model, travelers are helping empower our young female students through job training and employment opportunity. For every tour, $2 contribution is made to a foundation for social and good cause projects.
6:00 PM: You will be picked up from your hotel and introduced to the program.
6:15 PM: Start the tour with the first local restaurant for Hue local cakes (trio Beo-Nam-Loc cakes)
7:00 PM: Next stop, vegetarian hot pot. On the back of the motorbike, you will be taken across the city and enjoy city lights before having the next food.
8:00 PM: Keep your appetite! The next local stop will serve you yet another amazing food, which is Hue’s pancake and vegetable salad.
9:00 PM: Time for the dessert. Hue’s sweet soup will satisfy your sweet tooth craving.
10:00 PM: Sightseeing around Hue by night
10:30 PM: Tour ends. You will be dropped off at your hotel.
✓ Food and non-alcoholic drinks
✓ Local English speaking tour guide
✓ T-shirts with logo
✓ Hotel pick-up and drop-off.
✘ Personal expense (extra drinks and snacks)
✘ Extra activities (not included in the itinerary)
- Starting time: 6.00 p.m
- Meeting point: Your hotel’s hall
- What to bring:
- Clothing: depending on the season, light clothes in summer and warm clothes in winter
- We encourage our guests to bring reusable bottles to fill drinking water
What's the weather like?
- Weather in Hue is harsh and different from regions and areas in the province. It is affected by the Truong Son Mountain Range which brings the moisture to Hue, causing a foggy damp and showery weather.
- Coastal and delta regions have two seasons: dry season from March to August with hot and muggy atmosphere, sometimes the temperature reaches up to 39.9°C. From August to February is the rainy season. There are floods and typhoons in this season. The average temperature is 19.7°C, while also lowers to 8.8°C with cold air.
- Normally, in summer weather in Hue is very dry with short summer rains. The rains appear unpredictably but prolong for weeks. “Changeable” would be a right word to depict weather of Hue.
Where does the tour take place?