Da Bac - An ethnological discovery in Hoa Binh
About this experience
Located on the entrance of the Northwest region of Vietnam, Hoa Binh Province is proud to be the one of the cradles of Vietnamese ancient culture with the world-famous “Hoabinhian Culture” (Van hoa Hoa Binh). Emerging as a new tourism destination, Da Bac District is still relatively untouched by the outside world. It has some of the most beautiful sceneries in the country, best described as an “in-land Ha Long”.
Featuring the intersection of pristine natural beauty and diverse ethnic cultures like Muong, Thai, Dao, Tay, etc., Da Bac offers an opportunity to see incredible landscapes while visiting old ethnic minority villages, among which is 300 year-old Dao people’s Sung village. You will also get to enjoy outdoor activities, including cycling, kayaking, and water rafting on the biggest man-made reservoir in Vietnam.
- Witness traditional brocade art
- Explore Sung Cave
- Visit San Tuyet Tea Hill
- Local meals
- Outdoor activities
Your positive contribution
Da Bac Community-Based Tourism (CBT) project was initially funded by Dr Vance Gledhill and supported by Action on Poverty (AOP) and has been operating since July 2014. The goal of this project is to alleviate poverty for ethnic minorities in Da Bac, creating sustainable livelihoods, preserving their culture and environment through the promotion of CBT. Your participating in this tour will not only enrich your experience in Vietnam but also create a sustainable and self-reliant future for the Da Bac community.
Day 1: Hanoi – Sung Village (-,L,D)
This day includes a 142-km travel in a car.
8:00 – Depart from Hanoi to Sung Village
12:00 – Arrive at Sung Village, check in homestay and have lunch
13:30 – Visit homestay, brocade group, explore the amazing Sung Cave and visit San Tuyet tea hill
18:30 – Have dinner, enjoy local culinary and interact with local community
Day 2: Sung Village – Da Bia Village (B,L,-)
There’s a trekking on this day and will cover a distance of 6km.
6:30 – Breakfast at Homestay
7:30 – Trek from Sung Village to Mong stream
9:30 – Cruise by boat to Da Bia Village
10:00 – Arrive at Da Bia Village, explore Homestay
12:00 – Have lunch at homestay
14:00 – Visit local families, schools and participate in outdoor activities
15:00 – Cruise by boat to Thung Nai
16:30 – Transfer to Hanoi by car
✓ Accommodation as indicated in the Itinerary
✓ Meals as stated in the itinerary (B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner)
✓ Activities as indicated in the itinerary
✓ Local Vietnamese speaking guide
✓ Mineral water on trekking
✓ Transfer luggage from Sung to Da Bia
✓ Waterproof bag during the trek (given back to Da Bac CBT after the trip)
✓ Boat from Da Bia to Thung Nai
✘ Car transfer from/to Hanoi
✘ Travel insurance
✘ Personal expenses, tips and gratuities
✘ Others not mentioned above
- Starting time: pick up at 8 a.m (if transportation is booked).
- Meeting point: your hotel if transportation is booked. If not, meet at Sung village (tour starting point). An exact pinpoint will be sent upon tour confirmation.
- What to bring:
- Outdoor clothing: swimsuit, hats, sunglasses, etc.
- Personal care items: sunscreen, bug repellent, etc.
- Warm clothing during winter
What's the weather like?
- Owing to locating in the north of Vietnam, Hoa Binh has hot climate in summer and is very cold in winter. The average temperature is 24.40C. Climate is divided into 2 seasons: summer from April to September, winter from October to March.
- For hot (but not too hot), sunny weather, October-November and February-May are the best time to go.
Where is it?