A Walk back into History in Ky Anh Tunnel
About this experience
Have you always been keen on learning which strength helped the Vietnamese triumph over a much more powerful force – the U.S army – in the American War (or the Vietnam War as you might know it)? Are you ready to go back in time to witness what living in between two lines feels like? How has life changed for war survivors since?
Come with us to Thach Tan Village and see the war from the tunnels below the ground. But that’s not all! Thach Tan Village is also well known for its sedge weaving handicraft products. The neighboring village located at the Dam River offered shelter in the high thatch grasses during the war and now offers local fisherman the ideal place to catch their daily food and harvest water lilies and lotus flowers.
- Meet time witnesses during the tunnel construction and defense during the war.
- Enter the ‘war room’ and crawl through the narrow passages of the tunnels.
- Join a local family for lunch and learn their traditional way of life.
- Learn traditional handicraft and the contrast of a traditional lifestyle in a modern society.
- Take a boat tour on the beautiful Dam River and pick your own lotus flowers (seasonal).
Your positive contribution
Upholding the past to move forward
As often observed in modern days, while this is not necessarily their fault, the young generation can easily neglect our painful yet resounding past. With this program, we hope to give them a new perspective on how the past and the present are connected. At the same time, people from the other side then can also see the war from a different angle. You can’t move forward without understanding your past.
* Price: from $30/pax (for a group of 8 persons). For the best price, please contact us.
Pick up at your hotel
Let’s start at the Village Hall of Thach Tan where the tunnels begun.
Follow Mr. Ta, one of the witnesses during the war time to discover the tunnel networks. Besides, you will discover original relics & memorabilia donated by the villagers on display.
Meet Mr. Thien, one of the members in the Directive Board who supervised the construction of the tunnels. Enjoy lunch cooked in a traditional way while reminiscing about the old days with Mr. Thien.
Meet mat weaving artisans who try to keep this local wisdom alive. Learn different stages of making a mat, from sedge harvesting to weaving the final products.
Dam River was once a refuge place for Northern soldiers in regular raids from the South. Nowadays, it is the main source of living for residents on the banks and in the surrounding area.
Enjoy a boat ride and enjoy the spectacular view along Dam River. Learn how the locals make a living on this river.
✓ Lunch, water & snacks during the trip
✓ Local community guide
✓ Boat fee and driver
✓ English speaking facilitator
✓ Community activity program fee
✓ A handicraft souvenir from the village
✘ Transportation to site and back
✘ Personal expense (extra drinks and snacks)
✘ Extra activities (not included in the itinerary)
✘ Personal support to the community fund
✘ Additional souvenir(s)
- Starting time: 9a.m at Thach Tan village. If you wish to take our car service, pick-up will be arranged depending on your location.
- Meeting point: Highway 1A (pinpoint of exact location shall be sent to your email address after confirmation of booking)
- What to bring:
- Clothing: Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. You will get to crawl through some parts of the tunnel, wear your nicest clothes… not.
- Bring hat and umbrella in case of rain.
- We encourage our guests to bring reusable bottles to fill drinking water (provided) during the trip
What's the weather like?
- Tam Ky is located in coastal climate area. The annual average temperature is 260C, the average annual rainfall is about 249mm, the average sunshine time is 5-9 hours, the average humidity is 84%.