2-day Trek in Thon Tha village
About this experience
Ha Giang is a special place with a primitivity and like no other and the perfect place for trekking with its wonderful sceneries. This beautiful region has so much to offer, from terraced rice fields, high limestone mountains to colourful-dressed hill tribes.
This tour is an unforgettable and relaxed journey to Thon Tha village (Ha Giang city) that should be part of everyone’s time in Vietnam. Thon Tha Village is perhaps one of the best manifestations of a provincial, traditional life with a tiny population of about 550 people from Tay minority. Only a total of 90 homes make up the whole neighborhood, traditional stilt houses made from wood and bamboo and with a palm-thatched roof. In Thon Tha village, you will stay away the crowds to participate in village life and truly feel the warmth and hospitality of these incredible people.
- Visiting and interacting with local people from two different ethnic groups: Tay and Long-dressed Dzao (Dao Ao Dai)
- A rich overview of the agricultural landscapes and hint of the history in the North of Vietnam
- Interact with local people to understand about their culture.
- Experience staying at a homestay in Thon Tha village
Your positive contribution
Improvement of Local Livelihood
A significant amount 78% of what you pay goes back to the communities involved in providing tourism services like food and accommodation. Moreover, the community members who gets direct benefits from tourism commits 10% of what they earn to their own communities as contribution to the community fund.
If you take a sleeping bus departing from Hanoi from the previous night, you would reach Ha Giang city at around 4.30 a.m in the next morning. You then will be picked up and taken to the homestay in a near-by village.
* Sleeping bus fare is not included in the tour price but we can help arrange. Bus fare is paid directly to the bus driver.
Day 1: Trekking route: Thon Tha – Lung Vai – Ha Thanh
Trek to Ha Thanh Village: The homestay owner will prepare a warmly breakfast for you around 8am. Then the local guide will meet you at your homestay where we start our trek through terraced rice fields and Tay villages. Chances to meet and talk with locals working in the fields are plentiful. We will go trekking to Lùng Vai village of the Coin Dao people (4 hours) and then have a break for a picnic lunch enroute or we can go to visit Dao family and enjoy relaxing time there. The Dao family will warmly welcome you to their traditional home where they will share their culture to you. After that, we will continue to go trekking to Ha Thanh village famous for its waterfall.
Overnight at a Tay homestay where guests will sleep on the floor with mattress, blanket, mosquito net, separated by other bed with a curtain.
Day 2 : Thon Tha – Khuoi Mi – Thon Tha
At the first gleam of daylight, you will see and hear the sounds of the morning village life. You can join them in some of their activities, like feeding the animals, cleaning the house, gardening or preparing breakfast. After breakfast, we will complete our trek on the valley route up to the mountain linking Thon Tha and Khuoi My.
Our local guide will tell you some local stories and share the Dao Ao Dai unique culture which we can see in Khuoi My village – home of about 200 Dao Ao Dai ethnic minority households – located at the foot of highest mountain in Northeast Vietnam namely “Tay Con Linh” peak. We enjoy a picnic lunch en route or we can order lunch in a local family.
Then save our energy to go trekking on the back way of the national road to the same Tay homestay in Thon Tha village.
End tour at about 5.00 p.m. You will come back to homestay for resting and early dinner before going to bus station and come back Hanoi (if you do not plan for other tours in Ha Giang)
✓ Taxi pick-up and drop-off from Ha Giang bus station
✓ Local tour guide (Our guide can speak basic English and really enthusiastic
to show/explain you the cultures and sightseeing)
✓ Meals that are mentioned
✘ Transportation from Hanoi to Ha Giang and vice versa
(but we can help arrange)
✘ Other activities not mentioned
- Starting time: 8.00 a.m from your homestay
- Meeting point: Ha Giang bus station
- What to bring: Sun block, Camera, Insect Repellent, Original Passport, Thin jacket (preferably waterproof), Sunglasses, Warm clothes for winter, Hiking/trekking shoes
- There is a 15km trek involved, this program is only suggested for active and fit persons
What's the weather like?
- Depending on the altitude, climate will change. The province is good to visit throughout the year. September to November and March to May are when the temperature is most pleasurable, in their mid 20’s.
- December and a bit into February the temperature falls, especially in the mountains so carry some good clothing.
- October and November is peak season for local Vietnamese tourists.
Where does the tour occur?