Ultimate Hoang Su Phi treks
About this experience
Hoang Su Phi, the forgotten paradise in the North, offering the opportunity to witness cultural life, farming practices, and other activities of the ethnic minorities residing in mountainous region of the North. In this program, you also get a chance to admire the gracefully constructed terraced rice fields.
Treks in Hoang Su Phi are estimated to be between medium and sporty difficulty, with distances covered from 10km-18km (5-7hrs walking) per day at an altitude of 750m above sea level. You will have a local guide and motorbike transportation with driver on the more challenging roads.
The overnight stays will be at traditional houses of the minorities developed by Helvetas Vietnam where modest services are prepared.
- A visit to different villages and interaction with the locals
- Meet the people from different ethnic minorities in the North
- Enjoy the genuine warmth and friendliness of a local minority’s home
Your positive contribution
More than 50% of the program fee goes to the locals involved in providing services to the guests. This program particularly supports the homestays developed by Helvetas Vietnam. Helvetas Vietnam helps disadvantaged people and communities in developing countries to actively improve their living conditions.
Day 1: Nam Dich – Seo Phin – Ho Thau (-,L,D)
- After getting off the bus at Ha Giang, a 2.5hr mototaxi transfer will be taken to Nam Dich.
- In Nam Dich, you will witness what life is like in a small town in Northern Vietnam
- Leaving Nam Dich for Seo Phin, you will trek for about 6km via a concrete bridge and pass up the mountainside to a Hmong Village
- In this day’s trek, you will notably meet Long Tunic Dao, Hmong Flower, and Nung.
- Lunch will be with a family of H’mong Flower at Seo Phin
- You will then trek for about 6km to Ho Thau the last village of the day where you will spend the night
- Overnight at Man Ta Pan ethnic group
Day 2: Ho Thau – Banh Van – Suoi Thau (B, L, D)
- This day there will be a 6km trek in the morning from Ho Thau to Ban Van.
- You will cross streams, waterfall, bamboo forests, pass through Ban Luoc Heaven gate, and beautiful rice terraces. On the winding trails, you will also witness the daily labor of local people, especially the group of Man Ta Pan and Long Tunics Dao.
- Lunch will be with a family of Man Ta Pan ethnic group or at the Ban Luoc Heaven gate.
- In the afternoon, you will cover a 7km trek to Suoi Thao, the village located between the largest terraced rice field in Hoang Su Phi, is home to the Long Tunics Dao ethnic group.
- For you to experience the different lifestyles of the different ethnic groups, the overnight stay for this night will be with a Long Tunic Dao family.
Day 3: Suoi Thao – Nam Li – Lung Dam (B, L, -)
- After breakfast, you will trek for 2.5hrs to leave the terraced rice field of Ban Luoc.
- Then a moto-taxi ride to the capital town of Hoang Su Phi then take a bus to Ha Giang then to Hanoi.
✓ Meals as indicated in the itinerary
✓ Accommodations as indicated in the itinerary
✓ Transportation as indicated in the itinerary
✓ Activities as indicated in the itinerary
✓ Local guide
✘ English-speaking guide
✘ Personal expenses
✘ Water and other beverages
- Amenities: Homestays have the most basic amenities: toilet, hot shower, bed/mattress, towel and soap
- Meeting point: Bus station / any point in Hoang Su Phi Province where your itinerary starts. If you want to book car service from Hanoi, please let us know and we will arrange for you
- What to bring:
- Walking shoes, trekking shoes are always recommended
- Anti-mosquito cream, anti-insect cream
- Warm clothes in winter
What's the weather like?
- Depending on the altitude, climate will change. The province is good to visit throughout the year. September to November and March to May are when the temperature is most pleasurable, in their mid 20’s.
- December and a bit into February the temperature falls, especially in the mountains so carry some good clothing.
- October and November is peak season for local Vietnamese tourists.
Where is Hoang Su Phi?