Highlights of Ha Giang
About this experience
Ha Giang is one of the best places for trekkers and backpackers in Northern Vietnam because of its wilderness. You will see a lot of fantastic scenery across the entire area with hills, valleys and villages filled with various ethnic minorities (Hmong, Tay, Dao, Nung, Lo Lo, Giay, Pu Peo, etc.). The farthest and most beautiful place of Ha Giang province is Dong Van Karst Global Geopark, designated by UNESCO as one of 77 sites with the important geological and cultural heritage. This geopark is home to 17 ethnic minority groups, which create a unique and rich cultural heritage of the area.
This tour captures the highlights of Ha Giang into a 3-day-2-night trip with either standard quality of private room or more local experience like homestay dormitory. You can have some time for trekking and hiking too!
* Upgrade from homestay option to comfort option with private room in hotel is available upon request.
- Visit all popular Ha Giang attractions such as Twin Mountain (Nui Doi) in Quan Ba, H’Mong King Palace, Dong Van Ancient Town, Dong Van Market & Ma Pi Leng Pass.
- Meet with local families from ethnic minority groups, namely White H’mong, Red Dzao, and Tay and learn about their cultural features.
- Short trekking to Lung Cu Flagpole and take in the view from high above to contemplate the country’s beauty.
Your positive contribution
This tour connects community-based tourism destinations into one program that partly contributes to improving the quality of life for local residences. The aim is to provide most authentic experiences possible for visitors while on the other hand, local people benefit from it. This is directly achieved through offering of homestay accommodations and other tourism-related services.
Day 1: Hanoi – Ha Giang – Quan Ba (L/D)
Morning: Hotel pick-up at 7:30 am in Hanoi to begin your adventure. As you travel away from the crowded city, you will notice the landscape change.
Afternoon: Stop for lunch at a local restaurant in Tuyen Quang. Along the way, enjoy the delightful landscapes of the mountainous land, the charm of terraced rice fields, and the magnificent, soaring mountain ranges which dominate the skyline.
Arrive in Quan Ba at around 5 p.m where you will have free time to explore the Dao village and Twin Mountains of Tam Son.
Evening: You will also be able to enjoy some local specialties as you have dinner and stay overnight with the locals. Overnight in homestay in Nam Dam Village, Quan Ba.
Day 2: Quan Ba – Yen Minh – Dong Van (B/L/D)
Early morning: Have breakfast in the fresh air of a mountainous village. When everyone is ready, we visit the mansion of a ruler of the semi-autonomy Ha Giang during the French colonial era – The Palace of H’mong Lord Vuong Chinh Duc, H’mong village where the well-known movie “Pao’s story” was set.
Continue to visit the Lung Cu Flag Tower, standing on the summit of the Dragon mountain – the Northernmost point of Vietnam. Drive to a pretty and authentic café Cuc Bac (North Pole) among a LoLo’s community.
Evening: Get to the town Dong Van, check in, have dinner, chill out in the Old Quarter, sleep tight in homestay.
Day 3: Dong Van – Ma Pi Leng – Meo Vac – Hanoi (B/L)
Morning: Spend sometimes on seeing the market of where the local people come together to sell and buy each other’s goods, then get ready for a roller-coaster ride along the legendary Ma Pi Leng pass. Spend extra time on enjoying the spectacular view, with the Nho Que river down below and lush green patches sliding down between rugged rock mountains and, hacksaw ridge fading away behind layers of gentle mist.
Afternoon: Lunch is cooked and served by your host before heading to Hanoi. End the tour.
✓ Meals as indicated in the itinerary
✓ Car transportation as indicated in the itinerary
✓ Different types of accommodations as indicated in the itinerary
✓ Professional and enthusiastic guides
✓ Entrance fees
✓ Travel insurance
✓ 1 fresh bottle of drinking water per person per day
✓ Border fee for foreigners
✘ Personal expense
✘ Tips for the driver and the guide (suggested 2USD/day)
✘ Other transportation service not indicated in the itinerary
- Starting time: Hotel pick-up at at 7:30 a.m (1st day)
- Meeting point: Your hotel
- What to bring: warm coat, umbrella/hat, raincoat, comfortable shoes personal hygiene kit, some essential medicine, passport.
- Who can join the tour: this tour is suitable for adults aged 18 and above with medium health conditions.
What's the weather like?
- Depending on the altitude, climate will change. The province is good to visit throughout the year. September to November and March to May are when the temperature is most pleasurable, in their mid 20’s.
- December and a bit into February the temperature falls, especially in the mountains so carry some good clothing.
- October and November is peak season for local Vietnamese tourists.
Where does the tour occur?