A worthy drop-in to feel the North
About this experience
The northeast region of Vietnam is well known among adventurous travelers for its magnificent landscape and vibrant cultural mix of different ethnic groups. This tour is customized to give travelers a highlighted brief of northern Vietnam’s landscape and cultures. You will have opportunities to join on bamboo rafting, climb mountains, ride along breathtaking mountain passes, take part in exciting trekkings, visit ancient temples, caves and local markets, travel along the Chinese border, and head to some of the biggest waterfalls nationwide.
- Be amazed by the spectacular Dong Van karst plateau in Ha Giang
- Visit Ban Gioc Waterfall, a must-see in the northern areas, which is mesmerizing with its breathtaking view and rich cultures of Tay people.
- Immerse yourself in the wild nature of Ba Be National Park, which is made up of rich tropical forests centred around a large natural freshwater lake and soaring limestone karsts laced with caves and grottoes
- Get lost in Bac Ha Market with its vibrant colors from different ethnic groups: Flower H’mong, Phu La, Black Dzao, Tay, Nung, etc.
- Enjoy local food with your warm-hearted local hosts. Each stay will give you a unique experience of different ethnic cultures.
Your positive contribution
This tour connects community-based tourism destinations into one program that partly contributes to improving the quality of life for local residences. The aim is to provide most authentic experiences possible for visitors while on the other hand, local people benefit from it. This is directly achieved through offering of homestay accommodations and other tourism-related services.
Day 1: Hanoi – Ba Be (L/D)
Morning: Hotel pick-up in Hanoi and depart for Bac Kan province. On the way, we will visit Ethnology Museum in Thai Nguyen province; have lunch en route.
Afternoon: Arrive at Ba Be National Park early afternoon and start a 4-hour boat trip on the emerald Ba Be lake surrounded by limestone mountains and lush vegetation. Keep rowing to reach the scenic Dau Dang waterfall and visit mysterious Puong cave where thousands of bats live. Then spend time on going around Pac Ngoi village of Tay ethnic people to learn about their culture and lifestyle.
Evening: Stay overnight and have dinner with local people.
Day 2: Ba Be – Dong Van (B/L/D)
Morning: After breakfast, we say goodbye to your kind host and depart for Meo Vac, a beautiful valley with picturesque terraced rice fields and peaceful villages nestled at the foot of the hills. Enjoy amazing landscape while winding on mountain passes through beautiful lush valleys. Stop sometimes for photo hunting or short visits to local villages, and join local market if this day falls on Sunday. Keep driving for Dong Van via Ma Pi Leng pass, perhaps this is the most astonishing stretch of road in entire country that others superb view over the Nho Que river valley below with hundreds of limestone mountains towering above you.
Afternoon: Upon arrival at Dong Van, if it is early you can have a short trek to Don Cao, a top mountain bunker built by French military in the wartime to control the area. Later you are free to spend time on socializing with local people and having dinner.
Evening: Stay overnight at homestay.
Day 3: Dong Van – Ha Giang (B/L/D)
Morning – afternoon: Depart for Lung Cu Flagpole, the Northernmost point of Vietnam then visit Vuong Chi Sinh’s house, the palace of former H’Mong King. This construction was built in 1902 out of stone and timber as a gift from French colonial to the King. On the way to Ha Giang city, we will visit local H’Mong people in Lung Tam village to see how they do hemp weaving and other activities in their daily life.
Evening: Have dinner and stay overnight at homestay in Ha Giang City.
Day 4: Ha Giang – Ha Noi (B/L)
Morning: Breakfast is served at homestay before saying goodbye to your lovely host to depart for Hanoi. Arrive in Hanoi in late afternoon, end the tour.
✓ Private car
✓ Meals as mentioned
✓ Professional and enthusiastic English-speaking guide
✓ Entrance fees
✓ Travel insurance
✓ Fresh water on the car: 01 bottle / person/ day
✓ Border fee for foreigners
✓ 3 night-stay in homestay (shared space)
✘ Personal expense
✘ Tips for driver and tour guide 2 USD/ person/ day
✘ VAT Tax (10%)
✘ Other activities that are not mentioned in the tour
✘ Facilitator in other languages available upon request with extra cost
- Starting time: Car pick-up at 6.00 a.m (1st day)
- Meeting point: Your hotel
- What to bring: warm coat, umbrella/hat, raincoat, comfortable shoes personal hygiene kit, some essential medicine, passport.
- Who can join the tour: this tour is suitable for adults. Children accompanied by their parents should have good health conditions.
What's the weather like?
- Depending on the altitude, climate will change. The province is good to visit throughout the year. September to November and March to May are when the temperature is most pleasurable, in their mid 20’s.
- December and a bit into February the temperature falls, especially in the mountains so carry some good clothing.
- October and November is peak season for local Vietnamese tourists.
Where does the tour occur?