A day as a rice farmer in Hoi An
About this experience
Rice plays a huge role in Vietnamese daily life. Most of their food products are eaten with or derived from from rice. In this activity you will have a deeper understanding of Vietnamese household and their history in rice farming through interaction with them and experiencing rice farming practices.
You will be taken away from the tourist-congested areas and into the countryside of Hoi An. Not only will you see local farmers at work, you will even experience rice farming yourself! A local rice farmer and his small family will show you their old, manual way of rice farming and rice processing. You will even get to ride a water buffalo.
After the rice field activities, you will be treated into a short cooking class and enjoy the meal with them.
- Short cycle through the countryside
- Experience local rice farming practices
- Cooking class
- Delicious lunch
Your positive contribution
Support a local farming family
Interact directly with local farmers and contribute to a more sustainable life.
– $40/pax (minimum of 2)
– Children price: 0 – 4yrs: F.OC; 5 – 11yrs: 50% discount ($20)
You will be picked up from your hotel by bicycle at 8:00AM (other transportation option available upon request).
Cycling through the countryside until the house of the rice farmer (about 5km)
Introduction to the local farmer’s life and explanation on the process of wet rice farming while enjoying welcome drinks
Put on rice farmer outfit and experience rice farming activities:
– Watering the field by traditional way
– Ploughing the soil
– Raking the soil
– Rice transplanting
Back to the house for a little rest
Introduction to the manual tools needed to process harvested rice grains
Cooking class back at the house of the rice farmer around 11:30AM
Enjoy the food you cooked!
Cycle back to your hotel at around 1:00PM
✓ Hotel Pick-up by Bicycle
✓ Use of Farmer’s uniform
✓ Local lunch you learn to cook yourself
✓ Water during the tour
✓ Passion fruit juice as welcome drinks
✘ Personal expense (extra drinks and snacks)
✘ Tips via personal support to the community fund
✘ Souvenirs you would like to buy
✘ Facilitator in other languages available upon request
- Starting time: 8 a.m at your hotel. If you do not stay in Hoi An, we can arrange transportation for you (additional cost).
- Meeting point: you hotel or Hoi An market (a pinpoint of exact location will be sent with our confirmation email).
- What to bring:
- Clothing: comfortable clothes for outdoor activities
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and hat
- We encourage our guests to bring reusable bottles to reduce plastic waste
What's the weather like?
Typical for the tropical climate of Vietnam, Hoi An city possesses warm weather the whole year with its average temperature of 29°C. The city only has two main seasons: rainy and dry seasons.
The heat reaches its peak from June to August when the highest temperature measured during day time is 38°C while the lowest temperature only drops at 21°C at night.
Winter-like weather falling in the town from November to January bring coldest days to Hoi An when daily average temperature is between 19 to 24°C.
- Hoi An’s dry season from February to May is the best time to visit the town, since its weather becomes very mild and beautiful with moderate temperature, low humidity, less rain and warm sunshine.