A brief of Vietnam Northeastern part
About this experience
The northeast region of Vietnam is well known among adventurous travelers for its magnificent landscape and vibrant cultural mix of different ethnic groups. This tour brings you the best features of three renowned mountainous provinces bordering China: Ha Giang, Cao Bang and Lang Son.
In Ha Giang, you will get to see Dong Van Karst Plateau, UNESCO Global Geopark, and the breathtaking Ma Pi Leng Pass with the elevation of 1.500m (4,921ft) above the sea level. You will then continue east to Cao Bang province where the spectacular Ban Gioc waterfall is located. On the way back to Hanoi, make the last stop at Bac Son valley, an enchanting place with a beautiful river that runs across rice terraces surrounded by towering mountains. Alternating road travels are overnight stays with local families to experience local, ethnic life.
- Be amazed by the spectacular Dong Van karst plateau in Ha Giang
- Visit Ban Gioc Waterfall, a must-see in the northern areas, which is mesmerizing with its breathtaking view and rich cultures of Tay people.
- Immerse yourself in the wild nature of Ba Be National Park, which is made up of rich tropical forests centred around a large natural freshwater lake and soaring limestone karsts laced with caves and grottoes
- Get lost in Bac Ha Market with its vibrant colors from different ethnic groups: Flower H’mong, Phu La, Black Dzao, Tay, Nung, etc.
- Enjoy local food with your warm-hearted local hosts. Each stay will give you a unique experience of different ethnic cultures.
Your positive contribution
This tour connects community-based tourism destinations into one program that partly contributes to improving the quality of life for local residences. The aim is to provide most authentic experiences possible for visitors while on the other hand, local people benefit from it. This is directly achieved through offering of homestay accommodations and other tourism-related services.
Day 1: Hanoi – Ha Giang – Quan Ba (L/D)
Morning: Hotel pick-up at 6 a.m. Arrive at Ha Giang city by noon.
Afternoon: After lunch, we will enter the Rocky Plateau and soon you’ll be amazed by the spectacular rocky fields scattered on mountains of Quan Ba district. In Quan Ba, you will get to see Twin Mountains (Nui Doi) – a symbolic image of Quan Ba, and then descend Lung Tam hemp weaving village to explore the local traditional craftsmanship. Drive through the Can Ty valley, along the Mien river to meet with H’Mong, Nung ethnic people. When the sun sets, we’ll stay in Nam Dam village, Quan Ba district.
Evening: Join with your host in dinner cooking with local ingredients. After dinner, you can freely walk around the village for exploration or heal your sore body with Red Dao’s herbal hot tub.
Day 2: Quan Ba – Lung Cu – Dong Van (B/L/D)
Morning: After breakfast, we will continue our journey to more distant villages of Lung Cam and Sa Phin commune. A stop will be made en route to visit an H’mong Village in Lung Cam commune where a movie called “Pao’s story” was set. In Sa Phin, we’ll visit the residence of the Vuong Family, known as “Hmong Lord’s Palace”, which was built in 1920 along the lines of a traditional Chinese courtyard house.
Noon: Have lunch in Dong Van town.
Afternoon: Explore the hidden trails and countryhood behind the town.
Evening: Go back to Dong Van Town, have dinner and chill out in the Dong Van ancient town. Overnight in a homestay.
Day 3: Dong Van – Cao Bang (B/L/D)
Morning: After breakfast, depart for Cao Bang. On the way, we stop to take photos or make short visit to local villages and see people in their daily life.
Afternoon – Evening: Have lunch en route. Upon arrival in Cao Bang, visit Pac Rang blacksmith village and stay overnight at homestay (or in Phia Thap, incense stick making village).
Day 4: Cao Bang – Ban Gioc – Bac Son (B/L/D)
Morning – Afternoon: Get up early to visit Khuoi Ky stone village of Tay people where all the houses are built of stone. Continue to visit Nguom Ngao cave and spectacular Ban Gioc waterfall with its untouched beauty then depart for Bac Son, a beautiful valley in Lang Son province.
Evening: Stay overnight with a local family in Lang Son province.
Day 5: Bac Son – Ha Noi (B/L)
Morning: Make a short tour around the village to observe farming and daily activities of the villagers. Then climb up the highest mountain – the Na Lay peak for panoramic view over the valley. From above, the valley looks like a picture of green paradise with zigzag river runs crossing the village fertilizing the rice fields, and isolated from the outside by high peak mountains.
Afternoon: Lunch is cooked and served by your host before heading to Hanoi. End the tour.
✓ Private car
✓ Meals as mentioned
✓ Professional and enthusiastic English-speaking guide
✓ Entrance fees
✓ Travel insurance
✓ Fresh water on the car: 01 bottle / person/ day
✓ Border fee for foreigners
✓ 4 night-stay in homestay (shared space)
✘ Personal expense
✘ Tips for driver and tour guide 2 USD/ person/ day
✘ VAT Tax (10%)
✘ Other activities that are not mentioned in the tour
✘ Facilitator in other languages available upon request with extra cost
- Starting time: Car pick-up at 6.00 a.m (1st day)
- Meeting point: Your hotel
- What to bring: warm coat, umbrella/hat, raincoat, comfortable shoes personal hygiene kit, some essential medicine, passport.
- Who can join the tour: this tour is suitable for adults aged 18 and above with medium health conditions.
What's the weather like?
- Depending on the altitude, climate will change. The province is good to visit throughout the year. September to November and March to May are when the temperature is most pleasurable, in their mid 20’s.
- December and a bit into February the temperature falls, especially in the mountains so carry some good clothing.
- October and November is peak season for local Vietnamese tourists.
Where does the tour occur?